Not that many years ago, calculators were the size of a thick paperback book. Now we carry endless gigabytes of information on a computer half that size. More to the point, most of the technological breakthroughs we enjoy today we could not have imagined a decade ago. The world is changing, and everything that surrounds us is steadily becoming more user friendly, more designed, and more contemporary.
Within my lifetime, I will wake up in the morning to soothing sounds. The smart polarizing glass will go from black to clear. I will make my way to the bathroom on a floor that's just the right temperature. The bathroom will be fully automated; it will take my vital signs as I go about my business.
When i walk into the kitchen, the best possible cup of coffee will be waiting for me in the most comfortable mug ever designed, and it will be precisely the way I like it. The refrigerator will tell me what's fresh, and if I reach for something, it will provide recipes based on what's available.
The computer wallpaper tells me the time and what my day looks like. It tells me who I'm meeting and when, what the meeting is about, and who will be in attendance.
If I ask for music, I get music;news, I get news.
The lights will follow me back to the bedroom. The closet will open as I get ready to dress, and it will make suggestions about what I might wear. It will even remember who I'm meeting with and what I was wearing the last time I met with those people, and what I might consider today - according to the weather, of course.
As I make my way back into the living room, I notice that the vase has changed colors. That lets me know the water needs changing.
Before I leave, I put on a pair of high-performance shoes I ordered online.
When I leave, closing the door behind me, the house gets to work, cleaning itself.
I get into a car, and the electric seat iss customized to my anatomy. Even the steering wheel is completely ergonomic- from just the touch of my hand it knows it's me and the engine starts and we're ready to roll.
The car asks me where I'm going and what I'd like to listen to.
When I get to the office, the doors sense my approach and open to let me through. My office chair is a dream, anthropomorphically attuned to my entire body.
If it's cold, the microfibers in my clothes warm up slightly so that I'm at exactly the temperature I find most comfortable.
When I go to lunch, I need nothing but an appetite. I don't carry a wallet. I don't have anything in my pockets. No keys, no cell phone, nothing. There's a microchip in my index finer that contains my credit card information, one in my earlobe that is a phone and another in my iris for visual communication. When I want to dial, I simply ask the chip to dial and I'm connected. Internet access is built into my anatomy.
If I have to travel, I will be picked up by a small electric car that checks me in en route to the airport. All I travel with is a small computer and a single change of clothers. The computer has everything I need on it: movies, books, design plans, calendars, music, and so on.
I arrive in a new city, hang up my self-cleaning clothes, change into my fresh outfit, and go to work, dinner, or play.
When I return to the hotel, the windows turn opaque and become video screens. Sleep no longer exists, there is only dream time.
When I wake up in the morning, the world is there to serve me so that I can be the best version of me I can be.
My desire is to see people living in our time, participating in our contemporary world, and delivered from nostalgia and antiquated notions. My hope is that we become conscious and sensorially attuned with this world, in this moment. If it is human nature to live in the past, we have to change it. To look back is to impede our forward momentum. There is nothing to be afraid of; we should embrace technology, allow progress to run its course, and believe how much better our lives can be. That is what I have set out to do. I want to change the world.
Resources from : Design yourself by Karin Rashid.
p/s: =)